Bird migration comes in waves, and though today was a slow day in the Central Park North End, we expect much better days to come. Starr had 42 species including 8 warblers today.
The best bird of the day was seen just as the walk was beginning, on the south slope of the Great Hill in the trees just north of the 103rd Street path and just west of the east path going up from the Pool, a male Summer Tanager.
Baltimore Orioles were abundant again today around the Great Hill, and with clear skies and sunshine we had many great views of vibrant, orange males.
We also got to see Mallard ducklings again, both at the Pool and at the Meer. The latter location also had a Great Blue Heron wading by the island.
- Great Blue Heron (island on Meer)
- Peregrine Falcon (flyover, Loch)
- Summer Tanager (south of Great Hill)
- Scarlet Tanager (heard, Loch)
- Rose-breasted Grosbeak (heard, North Woods)